A Cause We Can All Get Behind

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.

A Cause We Can All Get Behind

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:34 am

Click here for the main page article...

in this day when the country and the world is so divided, when muslims are fighting jews in lebanon, and shiites and sunnis are killing each other in iraq, when the american public is divided squarely down the middle on political and cultural issues like abortion and Dumbledore marriage, when natural disasters kill thousands upon thousands and the slow creep of global warming threatens the survival of us all, it's good to see one issue rise to the forefront, one issue that all humanity can agree upon and spur us all out of our apathy and laziness to take action for the betterment of mankind.

these 12 brave men and women are the vanguard of a new society. they will be like the harbinger of a better civilization and a better world. their struggle is our struggle. their victory will be our victory. we must do all we can to ensure that their battle is not in vain. we must join hands and touch dinks and stand behind these visionaries who had the boldness, the courage, the cojónes to stand up and fight for justice and virtue. we must not let these heroes down. nothing less than the fate of all mankind hangs in the balance.

VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!!!!
VIVA AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL!!!
VIVA LA REVOLUCIÓN!!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:44 am

As if the "writers" of a reality show can't be replaced in two days. Geezus.
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby The Ginger Man on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:32 am

Wait...so they're striking b/c the WGA won't acknowledge their reality show credits as proper grounds for admission? Is that the case?

Well fuck those guys. They can get in line with the rest of us.
The Ginger Man
Hong Kong Drizzle

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:39 am

This is my #1 priority after I "save screeches house"
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MiltonWaddams on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 pm

I was having a good day, was going on a road trip with a friend, maybe have some eggs for breakfast, but now.. how can I live my life in such a carefree fashion when I know that there is such injustice in this world.

The article mentions how they've gotten support, but not that much. You're really letting me down, America.
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:29 pm

...muslims are fighting jews in lebanon...

Man, it's far more complex than that, fella. There's a ton of Christians in Lebanon in the north and Israeli Muslims in Haifa have had the shit bombed out of them in Haifa. The world's gone mad.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:33 pm

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
...muslims are fighting jews in lebanon...

Man, it's far more complex than that, fella. There's a ton of Christians in Lebanon in the north and Israeli Muslims in Haifa have had the shit bombed out of them in Haifa. The world's gone mad.

Xtians, jews, muslims... what does it matter in a world where reality tv show writers aren't allowed in a union? THAT, sir, is the REAL madness.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby The Vicar on Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:37 pm

MiltonWaddams wrote:I was having a good day, was going on a road trip with a friend, maybe have some eggs for breakfast, but now.. how can I live my life in such a carefree fashion when I know that there is such injustice in this world.

The article mentions how they've gotten support, but not that much. You're really letting me down, America.

"Get used to disappointment....."

It's whats on the menu.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:19 pm

I'm for the writers on this one. Not that I would even consider watching America's Next To...I can't even bother myself with typing it out...but if this show is making millions and millions of dollars, they can afford to pay the writer's healthcare. I hope the WGA wins this one. Besides, it's president use to write for Futurama!
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:59 pm

Is anyone actually surprised that there are writers on reality shows?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby RaulMonkey on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:05 pm

The strike line is located at 1640 S. Sepulveda Blvd

Hey, Brocktune's just down the street at Pico. He could truly get behind this cause and provide the writers with some hands-on relief.
RaulMonkey
ZONE AMBASSADOR

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:10 pm

Admission into the Writer's Guild is based on a points system. You need something like 120 to become a full member. You get 120 if you have a feature screenplay produced. You get, say, 10 if you've written an episode of a sitcom, about 20 for a drama. And those are all for sole credit. If you share credit or just get "story by," you only get pieces of those points--if you're lucky. (I don't remember the actual numbers, but those're are close.)

If reality TV show writers get any credit, it should absolutely be confined to "story by" status. These shows are unscripted save for the producers/writing staff providing a basic structure for the episodes, with the producers/editors further sculpting the story later based on what they were able to capture. For an hour long reality show with sole credits, I say 10 points an episode is generous.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby Doc Holliday on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:19 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:Is anyone actually surprised that there are writers on reality shows?

Only that more of them don't get fired more often...
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:34 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:Admission into the Writer's Guild is based on a points system. You need something like 120 to become a full member. You get 120 if you have a feature screenplay produced. You get, say, 10 if you've written an episode of a sitcom, about 20 for a drama. And those are all for sole credit. If you share credit or just get "story by," you only get pieces of those points--if you're lucky. (I don't remember the actual numbers, but those're are close.)

If reality TV show writers get any credit, it should absolutely be confined to "story by" status. These shows are unscripted save for the producers/writing staff providing a basic structure for the episodes, with the producers/editors further sculpting the story later based on what they were able to capture. For an hour long reality show with sole credits, I say 10 points an episode is generous.

I feel like I just watched an ending of GI Joe where they tell you the very important lesson of the day, I don't recall if that was attached to every episode or not but ..

tfactor says: Wowy master whedon, that's great and now I know

MasterWhedon says: and knowing is half the battle

g i jooooooooooooe!

*insert hanna-barbera logo here*
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:37 pm

tfactor wrote:I feel like I just watched an ending of GI Joe where they tell you the very important lesson of the day, I don't recall if that was attached to every episode or not but ..

g i jooooooooooooe!

I pull out "...and knowing is half the battle" in life all the time, and nine times out of ten no one appreciates it.

Yay!

:D
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby tfactor on Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:44 pm

Sweet! 8)
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:01 pm

interesting point scale but the reality writers will have it easier than that. They've signed cards and since they're putting their careers on the line, if their shows go union, so do they. They'll even get the $2500 initiation fee waived. But they'll have to pay 1.5% of their paychecks in dues, but I bet they'll be making relatively more if it goes union. Plus, they'll still have the option of working non-union shows if they must. Best of both worlds. But it seems one of their problems is still educating the public that there are writers in reality.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:17 pm

just found this site put up by the wga that pretty much explains their POV of this whole thing

http://www.realityunited.org/

now, I think the Top Model bosses need to come out with their side of the story
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:24 pm

MasterWhedon wrote:
tfactor wrote:I feel like I just watched an ending of GI Joe where they tell you the very important lesson of the day, I don't recall if that was attached to every episode or not but ..

g i jooooooooooooe!

I pull out "...and knowing is half the battle" in life all the time, and nine times out of ten no one appreciates it.

Yay!

:D

I'm rather fond of "and that's one to grow on!"
DennisMM

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:25 pm

Those shows don't need writers. Producers and mostly associate producers used to be responsible for this kind of "environmental" shit, except on Q&A shows where writers handled the questions and research.
DennisMM

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:48 pm

producers and associate producers are their titles. But they're writing. They'll call them anything, story editors, story producers, story assists, anything but writers.

Here's a very informative interview from one of the writers/strikers over at Television w/o Pity --

http://tinyurl.com/e5a4c
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby DennisMM on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Well, that's different. In the old days the lines were more carefully drawn -- a producer was credited as such but only did writing on the sly, as needed. Things change. I'm old.
DennisMM

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:06 pm

i really need to turn this into a civil war sig, but i just can't find a good picture of the ANTM writers
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:41 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i really need to turn this into a civil war sig, but i just can't find a good picture of the ANTM writers

do it. This is a relatively unimportant thing compared to global events but there's something about it that's got you hooked...go for it
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:43 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i really need to turn this into a civil war sig, but i just can't find a good picture of the ANTM writers

do it. This is a relatively unimportant thing compared to global events but there's something about it that's got you hooked...go for it

well, since i AM the only one who seems to realize that the fate of all humanity hangs in the balance on this issue, i guess it's left up to me.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:44 pm

speaking of reality tv, if you're unemployed and live in SoCal, you too can work in reality:

http://tinyurl.com/pr4yk

I recommend applying for the logger positions that get posted every once in a while, those are truly the entry level positions with lots of room for growth.

Do you know final cut or avid? Try for the Editor or Assistant Editor positions.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:52 pm

these guys are on myspace now:

http://www.myspace.com/topmodelunion

but then again, who isn't?
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:38 pm

Pops Freshenmeyer wrote:these guys are on myspace now:

http://www.myspace.com/topmodelunion

but then again, who isn't?

AWESOME!!! now i can make my civil war sig!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:44 pm

Can't the UN step in???
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:48 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Can't the UN step in???

oh please, what can they do? UPN had more clout than the UN. No, this is a job for the CW
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby The Vicar on Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:50 pm

HollywoodBabylon wrote:Can't the UN step in???

The UN?

I can hear it now .... "the UN is coming? Geepers, I am sooooo scared...."

UN= Useless Nutless.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Postby Fievel on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:01 pm

The only cause I can really get behind and grab a hold of is anal sex.
Achievement Unlocked: TOTAL DOMINATION (Win a Werewolf Game without losing a single player on your team)
Fievel
Mouse Of The House

Postby thebostonlocksmith on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:03 pm

The only cause I can really get behind and grab a hold of is anal sex.

.....But please, not with dogs?
thebostonlocksmith
AIRWOLF

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:33 pm

that's a cause worth fighting for
Last edited by Pops Freshenmeyer on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 pm

More news from the strike line:

--------------------

Howdy Folks,

Here's another dispatch from the strike line at America's Next Top Model brought to you by the ANTM 12. It's the start of week 3 and we're only getting started.

Have you tried calling the CW lately? If it's anything like the other week good luck getting through. Thousands of Top Model fans shutdown the switch board with their anxious calls about the fate of The CW's highest rated show. Want to inquire yourself? Just dial 310-575-7000 and ask for Dawn Ostroff. Or try her direct line 310-575-7240. When
her assistant answers the phone, just ask for Dawn. This is your chance to talk directly with a network president. Her direct fax is 310-575-7203.

We tried to give Dawn a copy of Television Week's rousing endorsement of the reality storyteller's right to go union as she drove into CW, but apparently she was in too much of a rush to roll down her window. We'll keep trying Dawn. (Read it yourself at: www.realityunited.com/the_latest )

Week two on the picket line was quite animated since the staffs of both King of the Hill and the Family Guy stopped by. It's tough being out on the line each and every day so when folks show up it really lifts our spirits. Thanks!

Former top model contestant, Ebony "Don't get it twisted" Taylor, sure knows how to get the horns honking on the picket line. Check out our new video featuring Ebony, at: www.myspace.com/topmodelunion

We're no mathematicians but we can't understand why a network with a parent company (Time-Warner) that reports over 1 BILLION with a B in profits for the last 3 months can't afford to give health insurance to twelve writers, of a hit show no less?

Clear your calendars this Friday because it's Fan Appreciation Day! Tell all the Top Model fans you know to come on down Friday, August 11th, at Santa Monica and Sepulveda. We're going to have some of the biggest former America's Next Top Model girls on hand to give tips on
modeling, dish about their experiences on show, and autograph photos, shirts, or whatever you want. The more people we get there the bigger the message it sends to the CW, so go on now tell all your nieces and cousins about it.

The press keeps rolling in with a great write up in this week's LA Weekly. (Check it out:
http://www.laweekly.com/news/news/reality-strikes/ 14159/)

The ANTM 12
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:27 pm

they will not be stopped, i tell you.

THEY WILL NOT BE STOPPED!!!

not until the whole world hears them.

not until the whole world bows to their will.

theirs will be a benevolent rulership. do not fear them. do not doubt them. the ANTM 12 will rule us with a kind and gentle hand. they will cure cancer and destroy the wayans brothers. they will usher in a new era of peace and happiness for us all.

BOW DOWN BEFORE THEM OR BE DESTROYED!!!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Pops Freshenmeyer on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:05 am

Screenwriter Josh Friedman blogs about the writer's strike: http://hucksblog.blogspot.com/
Pops Freshenmeyer
REAL DRAGON

Return to Coaxial