The Zoner Movie Club (AUGUST) - Shaun of the Dead!

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

Out of the following three choices, which film would you like to consider for the month of August?

U-571
19%
Shawn of the Dead
35%
Cinderella Man
22%
WTF??!! You stole Flumm's love!!! YOU SUCK!!!
24%

Total votes : 37

The Zoner Movie Club (AUGUST) - Shaun of the Dead!

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:55 am

I figured I give Flumm the month off for August. I noticed some of us couldn't get July's film via . . . normal means. So, the following three films are, according to my knowledge, readily available for your consumption.

Out of the following three choices, which one would you like to consider for the month of August?

(All descriptions are courtesy of rottentomatoes.com.)

1) U-571

Description:

Jonathan Mostow's (BREAKDOWN) World War II submarine thriller about a crew of inexperienced American mariners forced to pilot a disabled German U-boat through hostile waters delivers plenty of action while paying homage to such war genre greats as DAS BOOT and DESTINATION TOKYO. Matthew McConaughey (EDTV) leads the rag tag American crew as Lt. Andrew Tyler, a young officer determined to prove himself a capable leader after being denied command of his own ship. His fellow seamen include Jon Bon Jovi (MOONLIGHT AND VALENTINO), Bill Paxton (A SIMPLE PLAN) and a cross-section of American society, featuring a hot-headed Brooklyner, an earnest farm boy, a wise black cook, a pack of fresh-faced young sailors, and Harvey Keitel as a salty old sea dog. Working with a lean plot, Mostow employs Oliver Wood's (FACE/OFF) detailed, claustrophobic cinematography and an exceptional sound design to create a series of engaging and genuinely tense action sequences that take the rickety submarine to crushing depths in order to outrun German attacks. While his attention to hard historical facts may be a bit leaky, Mostow's ability to sustain suspense rewards viewers with a tight genre piece with no shortage of action or good old American patriotism.

2) Shawn of the Dead

Description:

Edgar Wright's horror-comedy film, SHAUN OF THE DEAD, follows the title character (Simon Pegg) through his mundane life in London. Joined by his immature and ever-present roommate, Ed (Nick Frost), Shaun excels at nothing except drinking pints of ale and watching television, which causes friction with his girlfriend, Liz (Kate Ashfield). Before Shaun can save his relationship, however, he's got to fend off a horde of zombies that are slowly taking over the city. Armed with a cricket bat and a vague sense of direction, Shaun must rescue his friends and loved ones, and bring them to the only safe place he can think of--the pub.

Cowritten by Wright and Pegg, SHAUN OF THE DEAD succeeds remarkably well at combining droll British humor with good, old-fashioned zombie cinema. While the movie is often hilariously amusing, it takes its horror pedigree seriously, offering up moments of genuine suspense, and even a healthy dose of gore. Pegg is oddly charming as the put-upon lead slacker, and Frost is appropriately oafish, but the living dead themselves also take up a fair amount of screen time, shuffling and limping in their best Romero form. For lovers of zombie films and other chills-and-chuckles outings like EVIL DEAD II and DEAD ALIVE, SHAUN OF THE DEAD is an instant cult classic.

3) Cinderella Man

Description:

Academy Award®-winning producer Brian Grazer, director Ron Howard and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman (all Oscar® winners for 2001's A Beautiful Mind) are reunited with Oscar® winner Russell Crowe for the Universal Pictures-Miramax Films-Imagine Entertainment production, Cinderella Man. Starring opposite Crowe is two-time Oscar® nominee Renée Zellweger.

Crowe stars in the story inspired by the life of legendary athlete Jim Braddock, a once-promising light heavyweight boxer forced into retirement after a string of losses in the ring. As the nation enters the darkest years of the Great Depression, Braddock accepts a string of dead-end jobs to support his wife, Mae (Renée Zellweger), and their children, while never totally abandoning his dream of boxing again.

Thanks to a last minute cancellation, Braddock finds himself back in the ring against the second-ranked world contender--and to everyone's amazement, Braddock wins in the third round. Despite being pounds lighter than his opponents and repeated injuries to his hands, Braddock continues to fight against challengers and win. Carrying on his shoulders the hopes and dreams of the disenfranchised masses, Braddock, dubbed the "Cinderella Man," faces his toughest challenger in Max Baer (Craig Bierko), the heavyweight champion of the world, renowned for having killed two men in the ring.

==================================================

Well, which will it be?
Last edited by ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Location: 221C Baker Street, front row seat for some action . . .

Postby Ribbons on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:58 am

Is there a theme to these films, or are they just the next three on your Netflix queue? :P
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:00 am

Ribbons wrote:Is there a theme to these films, or are they just the next three on your Netflix queue? :P

I picked three films that are easily available to every one. Last month's choices were hard for some of the American folks to obtain . . . legally.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby colonel_lugz on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:02 am

Flumms gonna be mighty pissed when he see you stole his beloved thread, well, as pissed as Flumm CAN get

Anyhoo

I pick Cinderealla Man as it is the only one I haven't seen
You Called Down The Thunder, Well Now You Got It!
colonel_lugz
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:04 am

colonel_lugz wrote:Flumms gonna be mighty pissed when he see you stole his beloved thread, well, as pissed as Flumm CAN get

Anyhoo

I pick Cinderealla Man as it is the only one I haven't seen

Please make your choice known via the poll. Thanks.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby magicmonkey on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:29 am

KONG!!!
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby doglips on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:48 am

Ribbons wrote:Is there a theme to these films, or are they just the next three on your Netflix queue? :P

Yeah, I agree, there should be a theme linking the films. Either subject, Director or actors/actresses, even year of release.

If we are raiding the vaults we should go for 3 movies by a director that some of the younger zoners might not have seen and that the older zoners will probably not have watched for a while. Like Gus Van Sant films or something.

Miami Vice is out this month, so why not 3 Mann films, I'd love to discuss Heat or Last of the Mohicans with you guys.

How about 3 new films O'Neill? There are thousands of easily available films!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:58 am

U571? I thought that was a pretty bad film compared to Das Boot... Certainly we Brits despise it for messing with history so badly...
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brit Pop on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:21 am

U 571 - I second Atomic's words... which is why you should watch it.

Its so terrible its actually worth watching... like Showgirls!

Actually, the underwater effects are really quite good - like Showgirls!

My biggest gripe with the film is the stereotypeing, particularly Italian American stereotyped character and the African American stereotyped character... both of which would be more suited to comtemporary America... not the 40's.
Brit Pop
AIRWOLF

Postby AtomicHyperbole on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:54 am

I can understand historic films, but why a film had to fuck with history for the sake of entertainment... particularly seeing as it wasn't all that entertaining... I've no idea. Apparently American audiences wouldn't "get" it if they'd had stuck with an English capture of Enigma, kind of like changing Master and Commanders foes to French. Although in the context of that film and our countries rivalries in that period, that worked.

True, it's entirely fictional. But it does rather piss on historical fact regardless considering Enigma had already been cracked by the time you yanks had captured your one sub.

Plus Jon Bon Jovi is in it.
AtomicHyperbole
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Chilli on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:27 am

U-571... my arch-nemesis in filmic terms.

Shaun of the Dead's overrated, but by far the best of the three.
Bison: [to his architect] The temple above us was the wonder of the ancient world. Bisonopolis shall be the wonder of my world. But I think the food court should be larger. All the big franchises will want in.
Chilli
The Unfriendly Ghost

Postby havocSchultz on Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:27 am

AtomicHyperbole wrote:
Plus Jon Bon Jovi is in it.

Bon Jovi was the bomb in Vampires 2 yo...
havocSchultz
is full of stars...

Postby Petri on Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:36 am

Man, when I turned on the Sci-Fi channel on that fateful Sunday afternoon and saw Vampires 2 starring, yes STARRING, Bon Jovi, I knew I was in for a great afternoon.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:12 pm

Well, these are the three I'm sticking to. I picked them simply out of random chance. Also, I figured they are at least watchable and readily available for everyone to get. Also, they aren't too expensive, so if you were forced to buy one for whatever reason, it wouldn't hit you to hard in the wallet.

Basically, the connection between all three films are:

1)Availability
2)Watch-ability
3)Afford-ability

Yeah the words are a stretch but you get my drift.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:58 pm

Bump. So?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:08 pm

I made my choice on the poll but won't reveal it here save fear of chastisement.

It was Cinderella Man.

D'OH!
"I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades..."

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:09 pm

I voted Cinderella Man too. Don't be ashamed. It's a very good film.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Doc Holliday on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:33 pm

I haven't seen it - hence my vote! I'm going to watch it through Lugzs' window. He likes to pretend I'm not there...but he knows....he knows...
Last edited by Doc Holliday on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:55 pm

Doc Holliday wrote:I haven't seen it - hence my vote! I'm going to watch it through Lugzs' window. He like to pretend I'm not there...but he knows....he knows...

That deserves a creppy but heartfelt . . .

ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby sleepflower on Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:59 pm

I am definitely plumping for shawn of the dead as it is one I SHOULD have seen. I saw half of it at a friends house in Leeds but had to run for a train.

Oh well, I like the idea of this being like a book club though and choosing a film most haven't seen, though it is August and we can have this like a summer holiday break before the hardcore of the winter.
The Noblest Pleasure is The Joy of Understanding
sleepflower
AIRWOLF

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:01 pm

Tomorrow, I'm going to set the poll to remain open for a week. After that, which ever choice has the most is the film for consideration.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby athenabodicea on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:11 pm

Ooh...
I dont like this...

I mean this is really a stolen thread...
And it isnt even August yet...

If you wanted Flumm to add some American movies or movies thaqt would be easier for Americans to get ahold of, I'm sure you could have made mention to him in his thread or even via pm...

I think this is stepping on the toes of a fellow zoner and even driving a stake between the American zoners & UK zoners...

I just had to put in my 2 cents (as usual) for what its worth.... :roll:

Locked...

j/k

kinda ;)
ImageImageImage
athenabodicea
GEEK GODDESS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 am

Cinderella Man's a'ight. But Russell Crowe is flat-out amazing in the film. The guy may be a phone-chucking, g@y-baiting uber-douche, but he proves over and over again why he's one of the best working actors around.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:38 am

athenabodicea wrote:Ooh...
I dont like this...

I mean this is really a stolen thread...
And it isnt even August yet...

If you wanted Flumm to add some American movies or movies thaqt would be easier for Americans to get ahold of, I'm sure you could have made mention to him in his thread or even via pm...

I think this is stepping on the toes of a fellow zoner and even driving a stake between the American zoners & UK zoners...

I just had to put in my 2 cents (as usual) for what its worth.... :roll:

Locked...

j/k

kinda ;)

Balm did the Book one in January, Flumm did the movie one last month. I thought it was a one shot deal for the Zoner.

If Flumm has one in mind, he can run with it and you can delete this one. I was just trying to get the ball rolling.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:50 am

Ooh oooh....I thought this was sponsored by Flumm...like he was on holiday or something (no...not me....vacation...on vacation or something).

Have I become an unwitting pawn in some grander scheme?

Forgive me Flumm, I knew not what I did.....

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:44 am

ONeillSG1 wrote:Balm did the Book one in January, Flumm did the movie one last month. I thought it was a one shot deal for the Zoner.

If Flumm has one in mind, he can run with it and you can delete this one. I was just trying to get the ball rolling.

No, if you look at the Book of the Month club ones, Balm did them all except one, and the person who replaced him that month he hand-picked. I think it works better that way, honestly. Like one person doesn't have to do it each time, even if they wanted to, but we should defer to them so things don't get crazy. I don't like the idea of waiting 'til the 1st and going "I call Movie Club this month!"

That said, this one should keep going through August, I think. A lot of people have already voted and such. Just make sure you remember to tell us (roughly) when to watch the film and (roughly) when to talk about it once the polls close, ONeill.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby Flumm on Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:58 am

O'Neill and I are square. We're minus a few teeth, some blood has been let, but we are infact totally equalaterally equal.

:P

How could we not be? Simply a misunderstanding. All's fair in love and zone. I'll turn up, and do whats I do next month, but for now O'Neill is your most capable host...

And so, I voted for Cinderella Man, as I too want to see if the Crowe that I've read disturbing things about (loopy Rat Pack style, PR game pwnage), is actually worth his eventual performaces on screen. Plus I always have time for Giamatti...
Last edited by Flumm on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:36 pm

eh, i voted for u-571.

i just didn't get shaun of the dead. it didn't make me laugh. maybe all the hype around it raised my expectations too much, but it didn't do it for me.

i just saw cinderella man a few weeks ago. it was good, but i really don't feel like watching it again so soon.

i remember u-571 as being a decent action film. it's been a long time since i've seen it, so it's the one i'd most want to watch again. i can understand why the UK zoners would complain about the historical inaccuracy, but hey, if it wins then you've got a good excuse to go off on it.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby Vegeta on Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:19 pm

I picked U-571 since I haven't seen it yet.

I think we've all discussed Shawn of the Dead plenty and I personally think Ron Howard is one of the most overrated directors in Hollywood. But, whatever get's chosen I'll watch.
Vegeta
PARAGON OF VACUITY

Postby Petri on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:00 pm

TheBaxter wrote:i just didn't get shaun of the dead. it didn't make me laugh. maybe all the hype around it raised my expectations too much, but it didn't do it for me.

You needed to see it with a Canadian. I went with my Canadian friend and his wife and they were laughing through parts that I just didn't get. Apparently Canadian and British humor are not so different.
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby Doc Holliday on Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:52 pm

Petri wrote:
TheBaxter wrote:i just didn't get shaun of the dead. it didn't make me laugh. maybe all the hype around it raised my expectations too much, but it didn't do it for me.

You needed to see it with a Canadian. I went with my Canadian friend and his wife and they were laughing through parts that I just didn't get. Apparently Canadian and British humor are not so different.

B4NN3D!

(shit.....its true)

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Brocktune on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:05 pm

i went with u-571. there is just something very crowley-an about submarines. so phallic. great power they posess.
Brocktune
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby TheBaxter on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 pm

woohoo! u-571 is gaining ground on the backstretch... it could be a photo finish.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby ONeillSG1 on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:40 am

I'm giving this until midnight CST Monday August 7th. Whoever is in the lead by then, YIPPEE.

Also, there's some grumbling going around about me stepping on Flumm's toes.

I didn't mean to cause a rift or such, I was just trying to lift the burden off of someone for a spell when most likely the person didn't consider it a burden.

If Flumm has an idea for a movie thread for August, then it's only right for me to yield and let him do his thing. If that's the case, a mod can delete this one and he can start a new one.

I hope I didn't offend anyone in creating this thread and I humbly ask for Flumm's forgiveness for encroaching on his territory.

Toshiro Lucas Forever?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby magicmonkey on Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:43 am

Not to worry you O'Neil, but I saw FLumm talking to Iconny, Lady S and Athena the other day. He gave them a wad of cash and they all left smiling, or perhaps it was a grimace. Either FLumm just got layed or...
magicmonkey
I AM fucking Zen

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:16 am

Errr, I can't find the linkt o see hwat people thought of last months film: dead mans shoes. Link anybody?
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:32 am

FOUND IT!!!

OH and this months films: WHATS IT ALL ABOUT?

I mean, Shaun of the Dead is fine, but the others... I jus thtink you really wanted to watch Shaun of the Dead?

I'm all up for this movie club malarky, but how about helping each other to DISCOVER new films! New in terms of the viewers not when they were made! I'm sure Cinderella Man is very good and I'm sure the history rewriting for the Americans (it was Brits originally! Sorry... but in the "real history of the world" it was the Brits who did that job!) U571 is fun. Shaun of the Dead is just pure genius. But how about some films by Jack Hill or Walter Hill or Hal Ashby or Italian Horro and Giallo or Asian films that aren't their now over played horrors?

Ther eason is , I was just reading the beauty of peoples discovery of Dead Mans Shoes and see hwo good it is to find a film like that! Shaun of the Dead is the same but I be tyou've all seen it!

If not, I'll shut up - but I think you get my point and where I'm coming from! :-)
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Doc Holliday on Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:46 am

Hey SBf - long time no "speak". I'm not wailing on you buddy - I just see it like this: Its O'Neill's thread (then Flumm's again) - so they choose the pic. If we don't like the pic, we don't have to watch it and hope a gem crops up the following month instead - y'know, like "easy come easy go".

I mean, there's nothing stopping any of us renting out a criterion special if this month's selection ain't floating the boat.

Me - I missed Cinderella Man first time around, but it has been "critically acclaimed" and is a true story - I find that interesting, especially in the current climate of underwhelming boxers. Its also one of those films I overlook when I go to the DVD store. So if it had ended up being chosen, this thread would have done me a favour. I think thats the idea of it...

Vive la difference and all that - one man's tea is another man's biscuit. Um. No, that doesn't work. Move on doc.

But I hear ya too - there are so many older films I've overlooked - why not start a SilentBobaFetts Silver Screen Club?

I'd join :D

Demetri Martin
Doc Holliday
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Petri on Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:54 am

silentbobafett wrote:I'm all up for this movie club malarky, but how about helping each other to DISCOVER new films!

That's what the Netflix friends feature is for [/shameless Netflix plug]
Petri
REAL DRAGON

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:48 pm

So it seems to be Shaun of the Dead, folks. Get the film however (legal) way you can and let's get cracking.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby ONeillSG1 on Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:56 pm

Bump. I figure two weeks or so is enough time. Let's spend the rest of the month speaking on the film.

One thing I loved about the film is the total aloofness Shaun has to the world around him during the first act. If it doesn't occur in his flat or at the Winchester, it seems to fall into a tunnel vision of sorts which he seems to miss. Especially when the zombies first come on the scene.

I feel Simon Pegg is a real genius when it comes to writing this sort of comedy. Farcical comedy takes real wit, and he seems to display his frequently throughout the film (especially during the Queen "Don't Stop Me Now" scene).

Comments?
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Bob Samonkey on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:22 pm

I find it funny how many people compared Shaun and Ed to my friend and I.

He is always on the fuckin' phone at the most inopportune times.

I would also like to say that someone stole my copy. I would still like it back.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Ribbons on Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:47 pm

"Don't forget to kill Phillip!"

There seems to be a real undercurrent of sadness to the film. This is something I guess I've sort of realized on an abstract level, but only just yesterday was able to put into words.

In some parts it's more overt: the apocalyptic climax at the Winchester, for example, or towards the beginning where Shaun and Ed get sloshed. But it was also just there, or seemed to be there, in small doses throughout the film. When Shaun finds his other roommate all zombiefied in the shower, the way he mentions it to Ed's character... I don't know, there was just something about it. But I've been struggling what to make of it. Was it there intentionally, like subtextually? Did it sort of creep into the story by accident? Was it all Simon Pegg's performance and not so much the story itself? Maybe I'm reading too much into it. I probably am. But I was wondering whether anybody had any thoughts on that.

I also heard the "fried gold" line for the first time since knowing the Zoner, which was trippy. :wink:
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Postby ONeillSG1 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 am

Trippy indeed.
ONeillSG1
ADAMA

Postby Flumm on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:44 pm

Huzzah, hooray, hulabulloo, teh buffet is free, look left at all times, seasons salutaions, and whatever would be a more fitting and appropriate opening abouts here, and so on and so forth...

Yups, so I managed to rewatch this a couple of weeks back and thought I'd try and prevent premature clankyness from rusting it's way further into my brainloaf, and try and excuvate and share a few of me humble thoughts on the matter...

Firstly I guess, I should say, the disk is overbrimming with goodies to pick from, it really is, the guys know their roots, know their audiences, and so in turn, they give good geek. So, I really felt it would be missing an opportunity to watch the movie with a commentary bubbling away in my ears this time around, so I did just that, and picked the cast audio track to aid me on my journey.

Secondly, I should probably admitt, that I am not Shaun of the Dead's biggest fan. I don't hate it on by any means, and I'll try to express myself as best as I can muster here, but ultimately, this movie doesn't mean to me, as much as it seems to mean to a lot of others. Which is not something I'm fond of, it's not a position I usually put myself in, fi I don't feel a movie, it's not something I choose to dwell apon. I love loving films, and I suppose my movie writing habits kind of reflect that.

I will say though, that I enjoyed the movie far more then the first time around with commentary on, although Shaun and co aren't my favourite people, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran and co, most definately are.

("Im eating gake!")

And I suppose that my feelings can be found pretty much within the entirety of that last statement. Or... I suppose ...supposited furtherly (:?), the one before that last one.

I came to Shaun of the Dead, like a fair amount of young Brits disposed to things of a film/comedy/geekish nature, having fallen deeply in love with Spaced...

(Spaced being the revised sitcomish stlye show, co-written and performed by Simon peg n' Jessica Stevenson, and whip-panned by Edgar Wright, several years ago)

The whole feeling of Shaun of the Dead to me, was of watching your best friend doing your favourite childhood impression for a group of newer friends, of building it up and up, laughing at how good it used to be, only to realise as it unfolds, it doesn't quite have the same magic to it, it's not quite the same it was when you were younger - you love them anyway, you laugh along, you feel nothing but affection deep for them, but it's impossible for it to be what it was in the original moment.

SOTD and Spaced both have their stregnths and their weakness' tis true, Spaced is by no means perfect. It's a little dated in it's references here and there, and SOTD is a genuinely a good film, I can totally understand why people love it the way that they do. It's tight, techincally plush, original and savvy, but to me it's a little stale and too familliar. As much as I REALLY wanted to like it, I can't help but feel that the characters don't wring nearly as true as those of it's predecessor, they feel tacked on and underserved for the most part in general, and a lot of it feels kind of hollow to me, inparticular Shaun and Ed's friendship, and the various dramatic unfoldings that happen at the Winchester, although ably handled by Pegg I think, just feels really out of tone, and doesn't hit me at all where it's trying too.

I would say if you own, or are in anyway anamoured with SOTD, then buying the truelly sumptious Spaced boxset is a MUST BUY, I think it will be a wholley gratifying experience, honestly, and will give you most worthy memories to treasure from Pegg, Edgar, Frost and crew.

But ultimately, I guess the thing I take away from them both, is how gratefull and strangely warmed I am by the various members of the gangs doing so well in their careers. There's a genuine affinity that I think even SOTD audiences tap into betweem them and us. The reason that they were doing the impressions infront of your newer friends in the first place, is in no small way due to how talented and down right frickin' funny they are. There's something too about the way they have done it all, the sensibilities they bring, that strikes a chord above the material, I think. I can't wait for them all to get in their stride and produce more work. I love the fact at all, that they have the chops to hold thier own out their in the big leugues, and that people recognise how good they are at what they do, regardless of supposed national tastes in humour.

Roll on Hot Fuzz, I say, roll on. :roll:
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:51 pm

I really wish they would release Spaced in the states. We recorded them all from the Trio channel but I would like to see the DVD.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby Flumm on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:19 pm

I wonder why they haven't? I would have thought in the considerable wake SOTD garnered over the hefty promotional period they went through, along with postive word of mouth, it would have done really quite well.
Flumm
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby MiltonWaddams on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:28 pm

Army of Darkness has always been one of my favorite movies ever, I've seen it more than any other movie*. Some movies I like, some I love, some I adore, and I adore Army of Darkness. It's a good blend of action, horror and comedy.

Shaun of the Dead is superior to it in almost every way.

*COMMENCE SHOCK AND AWE*

*thread idea, has that been done?
Urer yvrf Z.J.
Xvyyrq ol ungr naq vafvqr wbxrf.
MiltonWaddams
REAL DRAGON

Postby Bob Samonkey on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:38 pm

Flumm wrote:I wonder why they haven't? I would have thought in the considerable wake SOTD garnered over the hefty promotional period they went through, along with postive word of mouth, it would have done really quite well.

I thought it was going to during that release as well. Here is hoping that Hot Fuzz will bring it about.
Bob Samonkey
Große Fäuste

Postby The Vicar on Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:27 pm

Shaun of the Dead is probably the finest UK export to the colonies EVAR.

Better than Jane Seymour.
Tied with Kate Bush.

I'm with Waddams on this one - SOtD blows Army of Darkness all to hell.
Not even close.

And I, too, think Raimi & the original Evil Dead II rock with their nads out.

Only 40 Year Old Virgin made me laugh as hard as SOtD did.
The Vicar
Fear & Loathing in the Zone

Next

Return to Movie Discussion