BOBBY

New movies! Old movies! B-movies! Discuss discuss discuss!!!

BOBBY

Postby tfactor on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:07 am

Bobby

I can't believe how many well known actors are in this movie. I mean for real go look at the IMDB list because its pretty damn impressive, though tbh I think I fall right on the cusp of not being around during the Kennedy era. So I can't honestly say that this movie carries the emotional connection with me that it does with some other people, so I'm not super thrilled or overly excited to see this but god damn that's a lot of actors:
Anthony Hopkins, Demi Moore, Ashton Kutcher, Sharon Stone, Lindsay Lohan, Elijah Wood, William H. Macy, Helen Hunt, Christian Slater, Laurence Fishburne, Nick Cannon, Joshua Jackson, Joy Bryant, Freddy Rodriguez, Shia LaBeouf, Martin Sheen and its directed by Emilio Estevez!

Now given this news isn't nearly as interesting as TWO MOVIES WITH THE SAME TITLE but hey, I can only repeat myself so many times :D
tfactor
KING SMARMY

Postby John-Locke on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:08 pm

I've heard this film just doesn't work, I'll check it out on DVD but I'm not expecting Estevez to reach the directorial highs he managed in Men At Work.
John-Locke
BULLETPROOF TIGER

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 pm

John-Locke wrote:but I'm not expecting Estevez to reach the directorial highs he managed in Men At Work.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby so sorry on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:52 pm

(I couldn't find an "Official Review for Bobby-the movie" thread)

I just read Vern's review on Bobby at the main page.
Vern has to be my all time favorite 'reviewer', and this is a perfect example of his wit, honesty, and intelligence.

a few excerps to whet your appetite:
The topic is different but this movie definitely wants to be CRASH. Not the pervy one where they have sex with flesh wounds and re-enact celebrity car crash deaths and then Deborah Kara Unger asks James Spader what Elias Koteas's anus looks like - I'm talking about the more ridiculous one by Paul Haggis.

(Demi)Moore is embarrassingly terrible playing a drunk bitch, and her plastic surgery is too good for the character and time period.

this is how you write a review of a star-studded-retarded movie.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Postby HollywoodBabylon on Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 pm

so sorry wrote:(I couldn't find an "Official Review for Bobby-the movie" thread)

Vern has to be my all time favorite 'reviewer', and this is a perfect example of his wit, honesty, and intelligence.

(Demi)Moore is embarrassingly terrible playing a drunk bitch, and her plastic surgery is too good for the character and time period.

Type-casting again I see for Ms. Moore.
HollywoodBabylon
AIRWOLF

Postby TheBaxter on Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:57 pm

so sorry wrote:(I couldn't find an "Official Review for Bobby-the movie" thread)

a few excerps to whet your appetite:
The topic is different but this movie definitely wants to be CRASH. Not the pervy one where they have sex with flesh wounds and re-enact celebrity car crash deaths and then Deborah Kara Unger asks James Spader what Elias Koteas's anus looks like - I'm talking about the more ridiculous one by Paul Haggis.

this is the best quote i've ever seen in any movie review ever.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Postby MasterWhedon on Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:01 pm

The Hollywood Reporter gave it a nice review, said it's liberal fanwank, but what can you do? I'll wait for video, but I'd like to see it for the cast, if nothing else.
MasterWhedon
KEEPER OF THE PURSE

Postby brainiac on Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:26 pm

Nice review, indeed, MW.

Makes me want to see it when before I was rather dubious about how it might play out.
Who watches the Watchmen?
brainiac
REAL DRAGON

Postby Quint on Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:44 pm

I seem to be in the minority... but I saw this last week and really, really liked it. I'll have my review up shortly, but the whole film is a love-letter to Bobby Kennedy and after you listen to all his speeches, see the difference he was beginning to make, the whole film just really came down to being an epic tragedy.

The Crash comparisons are only there because of two scenes where we're beaten over the head with "racism is bad," which was the entirety of Crash. The character work in here is much more interesting... at least to me.

Like I said, full review pending...
Quint
AICN Crew

Postby Bean on Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:40 pm

Quint wrote:I seem to be in the minority... but I saw this last week and really, really liked it. I'll have my review up shortly, but the whole film is a love-letter to Bobby Kennedy and after you listen to all his speeches, see the difference he was beginning to make, the whole film just really came down to being an epic tragedy.

The Crash comparisons are only there because of two scenes where we're beaten over the head with "racism is bad," which was the entirety of Crash. The character work in here is much more interesting... at least to me.

Like I said, full review pending...

I read Vern's review but I think I'm going to like this movie, I dug the trailer and from what I read, it was a real tragic thing to have Robert Kennedy die. Waiting on your review, Quint!
Bean
AIRWOLF

Postby Pacino86845 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:44 am

MasterWhedon wrote: I'll wait for video

Wow, you won't even give it a shot on DVD!?
Pacino86845
EGYPTIAN LOVER

Postby Eunuch Provocateur on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 am

I saw it tonight.

Some things worked, some didn't.

SPOILERS:

The Demi Moore storyline was a pointless ploy to get Estevez a part in the movie. And I thought he was the killer during the entire movie because of his fucking mustache. That story had no close, no merit, no point. Could have been edited out.

It gave great sentiment to RFK, and I liked that. I think he was one of the last great politicians. Of the people. A view that left would NEVER get voted in today. He was too non-partisan, I think. At least that's how he was portrayed.

And I liked his portrayal, the way they used stock footage of him instead of getting an actor to play him. Much more powerful.

The funny-haha-acid-trip Shia LaBeouf story was unnecessary too. Comedic relief that was funny. I wanted that waitress, Susan, to get naked, though. She didn't, no one did, I was disappointed.

As an aside, it was a little strange since the stock footage was obviously shot in 1968, on 1968-grade film. With the recent insurgence of fucking around with the awy a film looks (INLAND EMPIRE and Grind House both come to mind), couldn't they have gone for that same look throughout the film to give it more consistency?

8\10. Definitely depressing.
There's no Devil, just God when he's drunk. -Tom Waits.
Eunuch Provocateur
PRIMITIVE SCREWHEAD

Postby Ribbons on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:18 am

Err, so I saw this movie last night, and Vern's review pretty much sums it up. I wouldn't recommend this film.

I get what Emilio wanted to do: show how the country reacted to Robert Kennedy's death, and from that standpoint, using denizens of the hotel where he was shot as story filters is pretty clever. The only thing is, this movie doesn't have anything to do with the eponymous Bobby. Most of the stories don't even have anything to do with each other. They're just random vignettes that happen inside and around a hotel, many of which are devoid of social context. The exploration of illegal drugs, the rebellion against Vietnam and the racial tension among several characters encapsulates a country on the verge of change, but it sounds a lot cleaner in theory than it ends up being in practice. These plotlines go on their own detours which are fairly superfluous, like the kitchen manager who blackmails an adulterous hotel employee in order to keep his job. Many of the vignettes seem like padding as well. Demi Moore plays a washed-up lounge singer whose relationship with Emiiilio is on the rocks; Anthony Hopkins plays a doorman at the Belmont who is proud of the hotel's prestige; and Helent Hunt and Martin Sheen play a couple who spend most of their time discussing shoes. The character who had problems most directly related to Kennedy's platform was probably Elijah Wood, who marries Lindsay Lohan (taking time out of her hectic tabloid schedule to appear in a movie) in order to avoid the draft. Then Sirahn Sirahn ends up capping him with a gunshot to the head, even though the very last shot of the film is a title card saying no one in the Hotel Belmont died except for Kennedy. Maybe it's supposed to be a metaphor, or something.

As a sidenote, is Anthony Hopkins the laziest Great Actor ever? It seems like ever since Silence of the Lambs, his career has consisted of playing two characters: Hannibal Lecter, and Anthony Hopkins. His performance in this movie was about as deep as an appearance on "The Tonight Show."

The archived footage of Bobby's speeches was far and away the best part of the film, and I have to admit the montage at the end of the film scored to one of them was pretty powerful, but for the most part, the speeches and what was happening around them had nothing to do with one another. Bobby Kennedy was an important historical figure. His career, and his subsequent death, had tremendous political ramifications -- perhaps some of which are still being felt today. Surely a better movie about his life could have been made than this.
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Return to Movie Discussion