2008 Comic Tracker

Graphic novels. Weekly rags. The @$$holes.

2008 Comic Tracker

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:07 am

Here's where I copy everyone else's idea and keep track of comics I have read this year. Since comics are episodic and released monthly, I am just going to keep an ongoing list of stuff I like and stuff I don't by title, artist, writer, etc.

(MY faves will be at the number on spot on each list, while past Top choices will follow)

Top Comic
Immortal Iron Fist
Astonishing X-Men
Angel: After the Fall
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Daredevil - The year is off to a strong start with the Dr. Fear storyline. His character is so clever that his total fuck-over of Matt's life ranks right up there with Born Again, imo.
Super-Man: Red Son
Jonah Hex (great comic)
Blue Beetle - FINALLY, Jaime becomes proactive. The ending was scary!
Incredible Hercules
Spiderman (don't hurt me bulbuttl)
The Mighty Avengers - After 6 issues of Stark getting punked by Ultron, it was nice to see him being heroic again.
Doktor Sleepless (just catching up on this)
Booster Gold
Shadowpact
Action Comics - I know jack shit about the Legion, but this Legion storyline is quite compelling.
Crime Bible - Batwoman and the NEW Question really shined in the latest offering. It's not great, but I dig it nonetheless.
Teen Titans - sue me
House of M: Avengers - I like all the intrigue in this issue.

Top Writer
Brubaker actually makes that asshole Gambit kind of interesting. Dick.
Joss Whedon

Top Artist
Billy Tan
John Cassaday

Top Event
Messiah CompleX
Countdown (I was sucked back in!)
Annihilation Conquest (great fun!)

Generally Crappy Shit
I love me some Moon Knight, but wtf?
The End League (THE END)
Hulk #1
Wolverine Origins
Justice League of America (total shit)
She-Hulk - what in the hell is going on with this stupid comic and why is Jen being mischaracterized so badly. And finally, why do you guys like Peter David so much again? And Skrull Side-kick? Dumb.
The Order - This book is really written and nice to look at, but after 7 issues, I still don't know who these people are and what they do. And there are way too many dangling plotlines for simple minds like me to follow. I am glad this is going away... no if it was only joined by...
Avengers: The Initiative - crap.
Ultimates 3 - hahahaha, I will keep reading just to see how bad it gets.
Fantastic Four
X-Men: Emperor Vulcan - Thanks for NOTHING.

This list may get all changed up and stuff.

All 4 of the rest of you declare your space!
Last edited by burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby WalterBunny on Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:11 am

I'll join in, but there's only a handful of titles that I keep up with on a monthly basis (She-Hulk, Buffy, The Initiative). So I'm going to keep track of the collections that I read, since they're easier for me to get ahold of.

JANUARY
The Initiative - Basic Training HC (sure, I've got all the individual issues, but what sort of geek would I be if I passed this up?)
Last edited by WalterBunny on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
WalterBunny
STEAK-A-BABY

Postby Chairman Kaga on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:07 am

Ohh Ohhh
Chairman Kaga
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Al Shut on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:16 am

I'll give it a try, hopefully I can afford enough comics so it won't be to empty here

January 3rd
Naruto Vol. 7

January 7th
Naruto Vol.8

Naruto Vol.9 - I was a bit disapointed that the Tenten vs Temari fight wasn't shown, if I'm not mistaken this means I'll never get to see Tenten in action on page :( . Also I think the Hyuga fighting style works well better in animation than on page.

January 14th
Naruto Vol.20

Ex Machina Vol.1: Die ersten hundert Tage - I loved the way the story jumps between the mayor parts and the past. I can't make up my mind though if the gesturing is effective or exessive.

January 25th
Naruto Vol.28

Ex Machina Vol.2: Zeichen - Freaky :shock:

The Portent Vol1: Das Reich der Geister

February 11th
Ex Machina Vol.3: Fakt vs. Fiktion - I'm slowly growing impatient with this, the gesturing is really getting on my nervs, the actual mayor problems have disapaered and I'm still waiting to get a glimpse of Jack Pherson. Vol. 4 better be good.

February 22th
Naruto Vol. 21

Naruto Vol.26

February 29th
Fables Vol.2: Farm der Tiere

Y Vol.2: Tage wie dieser

March 25th
Naruto Vol.18

Naruto Vol.29

Forgot to update so the date escapes me
Rex Mundi Vol.3: Die verlorenen Könige

Fables Vol.3: Märchenhafte Liebschaften

Y Vol.3. Ein kleiner Schritt

How come everytime there is a noteable change in the art of a series I like it less than the previous. I smell a conspiracy :x

May 23th
Hellboy Vol.8: Die Trollhexe

June 2nd
Naruto Vol. 30

June 10th
Naruto Vol. 22

Ex Machina Vol 4: Am Vorabend des Krieges - I'm seriously feeling shortchanged on the Jack Pherson story. :evil: Doing it all in one wash after just having allusions for three volumes seems a bit rushed.
Last edited by Al Shut on Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 16 times in total.
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:29 am

I am so game. This is going to be easy for me because I keep a very detailed excel spreadsheet that documents every comic I own and every comic I plan to purchase months in advance.

First, here is my pull list as of 8/07/08:

DC
Action Comics
All-Star Superman
Batman
Birds of Prey
Blue Beetle
DMZ
Ex Machina
Fables
Final Crisis
Green Lantern
Scalped
Supergirl
Superman
Teen Titans

Marvel
Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane

Dark Horse
Buffy: Season 8
The Goon
Umbrella Academy

Casanova
Fell
Pax Romana
Walking Dead

Archaia
Mouse Guard
The Killer

Cartoon Books
RASL

Here is what I hope to purchase each week. Hopefully, I will keep up with my review writing and I will link this page to those reviews.

Jan. 4th, 2008

All-New Atom #19
Metal Men #5
Northlanders #2
Omega The Unknown #4
Silver Surfer: In Thy Name #3
Thunderbolts #118
Ultimate Human #1
Uncanny X-Men #494
Buffy #10

Book of the Week: Metal Men #5/Thunderbolts #118

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=547754#547754]Jan. 9th, 2008

Scalped #13
The Spirit #12
Hulk #1
Mighty Avengers #7
X-Factor #27
The Goon #20[/url]

CLICK FOR REVIEWS!

Book of the week: Scalped #13

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=552286#552286]Jan. 16th, 2008

Booster Gold #6
DMZ #27
Iron Fist #12
Incredible Hulk #113
New X-Men #46
Umbrella Academy #5
Fell #9
Angel: After the Fall #3[/url]

CLICK FOR REVIEWS!!!

Book of the Week: Umbrella Academy #5

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=557724#557724]Jan. 23rd, 2008

Faker #6
Hellblazer #240
Astonishing X-Men #24
Iron Man #25
Ultimate Iron Man II #2
X-Men #207
Black Summer #5[/url]

Book of the Week: Blue Beetle #23

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=562192#562192]Jan. 30th, 2008

Action Comics #861
Batman #673
Green Lantern #27
Y: The Last Man #60
Captain America #34
Ultimate Spider-Man #118[/url]

Book of the Week: Y: The Last Man #60

Feb. 6th, 2008

Fables #69
Metal Men #6
Scalped #14
Silver Surfer: In Thy Name #4
The Twelve #2
Buffy #11

Book of the Week: Silver Surfer: In Thy Name #4

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=570856#570856]Feb. 13th, 2008

DMZ #28
Fantastic Four #554
Ghost Rider #20
X-Factor #28
The Goon #21
Walking Dead #46[/url]

Book of the Week: Walking Dead #46

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=574346#574346]Feb. 20th, 2008

Ex Machina #34
Hulk #2
Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall...
Incredible Herc #114
Runaways #29
Invincible #48
Umbrella Academy #6[/url]

CLICK FOR REVIEWS!!!!!

Book of the Week: Umbrella Academy #6

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=577141#577141]Feb. 27th, 2008

Action Comics #862
Batman #674
Blue Beetle #24
Fables #70
Hellblazer #241
Captain America #35
Criminal 2 #1
Kick-Ass #1
Ultimate Spider-Man #119
Casanova #12
Mouse Guard #3[/url]

Book of the Week: Criminal 2 #1

Mar. 5th, 2008

All-New Atom #21
Green Lantern #28
Scalped #15
Dark Tower #1
Pax Romana #2
Buffy #12

Book of the Week: Buffy #12

Mar. 12th, 2008

DMZ #29
Fantastic Four #555
Thunderbolts #119
X-Factor #29
Invincible #49
Walking Dead #47
The Goon #22

Book of the Week:

Mar. 19th, 2008

Checkmate #24
Ex Machina #35
Fables #71
Angel #5
Invincible #49
Captain America #36
Ghost Rider #21
Iron Fist #13
Incredible Herc #115

Book of the Week: Angel: After the Fall #5

Mar. 26th, 2008

All-Star Superman #10
Blue Beetle #25
Green Lantern #29
Teen Titans #57
Transhuman #1
Daredevil #106
Ultimate Spidey #120

Book of the Week: All-Star Superman #10

[url=http://zone.aintitcool.com/viewtopic.php?p=589419#589419]Apr. 2nd, 2008

Action Comics #863
All-New Atom #22
Angel: After the Fall #6
Buffy #13
Casanova #13
Dark Tower v2 #2
Logan #2 B&W
Metal Men #7
Scalped #16
Secret Invasion #1
Walking Dead #48[/url]

Book of the Week: Secret Invasion #1
Last edited by Leckomaniac on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:26 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:30 am

great idea Burl; unikrunk is in.

Stop.

Hammer-time

New format for words about picture-books; all new words about picture-books will be at top of post. Well, not very top, or even here, where this paragraph is. But very close, right down there, the new words will be found. Thanks.

Wed., 10:51 AM ET, 3/13/8

The Immortal Iron Fist: The Last Iron Fist Story – TPB

Collecting issues Immortal Iron Fist 1-6 and some CW stuff, this trade is fifteen concrete block-shattering levels of fucking awesome. I, unikrunk, am hereby sold completely on this take on Iron Fist, whom until now filled my gayest-ass hero spot. Yep, I am a total convert.

The amazing kinetic art in this series is punctuated with writing that is so perfectly tight it is cinematic in its ultimate form. Panel upon panel of silent, incredibly violent action with gems of dialogue interjected; perfect.

Between this and The Green Mist one-shot, I will continue to track down and consume this run. 10 out of 10 thumbs up.

GL Corps #22

Gah, shit. Look, pairing and pretty much completely synchronizing this title with GL during the Sinestro Wars was a great idea, and for this reader, it was the perfect approach. But listen; that era is over, and the spectrum rings thing could really benefit from two separate titles. This issue was 95% a retelling of the Green Lantern #28...what the shit.

Seriously, its time to let GL be Hal’s book, or at the least the Earth sector’s book, and leave the Corps to deal with the big-ass galactic shit. You could tell two great stories with the upcoming spectrum ring stuff. Don’t dick this up, and make me feel like I am reading WWHulk: Gamma Ray-Super-Friends War-Bound Terrific Team. Thanks.

Superman Confidential #13

I fucking hate Toy-Man, in every incarnation I have ever seen, ever. The character is completely ALF, and even though this is a comic about a bulletproof dude in his underwear and a cape, the giant toy thing is just too much. I mean, is this really a trouble for Superman? A giant, lumbering toy bear? Dude, you are Superman, just fucking fly through it at the speed of light or something. Oh, and Olson is a total retard in this. 2 out of 10 thumbs up, bitch.

Batman Confidential #14

Holy god. Just when I thought it could not get any worse, I open up this thing. Okay, so Bats is fighting this fucking ALF looking BatManuel type guy, seriously, but BatManuel is sorta purple, so it totally ups the Siegfried and Roy quotient.

Somehow Batman spazzes or something, and Nightwing shows up, looking simply marvelous in the old-school super-collar, Power-Twin suit. There is no story here at all, and the art is boring, and the comic is crap. Um, no thumbs for you.

Countdown 7

You know, you can’t win them all. This series has had its ups and downs, and this issue is on the downside. It’s not terrible, but it is a series of meetings and exposition on already dragged out plot points. Anyway, it tees up the endgame well, if being a little boring in doing so/

Abe Sapien: The Drowning #2

Almost perfect. The art in the first five panels of this issue is absolutely beautifully painted. The rest of book is no slouch either, and the writing is fairly great. Near the end, things got a little vague and the book took an inward turn; here’s hoping this bit will make more sense when the arc is through. Overall a great comic. 9 out of 10 thumbs

BPRD: 1946 #3

Pretty damned good. There is a distinct feel, a certain outré to the BPRD stuff, it feels slightly different then HB or even Abe’ solo book (which happens to feel more like HB to me), and this series has captured the essence of that feeling. The BPRD series is not about hitting the monsters until they are paste; it is about being vulnerable to the creeping darkness, yet standing your ground despite your shortcomings.

I absolutely love the Giurescu tie-in, and the Demon/Russian Doll lady is perfect. As part of the 1946 run, here are 8 out of 10 thumbs up.

Wed., 5:58 AM EST.

Cable #1

This was mostly good, mostly. I don't read many mutant books, but when I do pick them up, I tend to enjoy them, and this is no exception. Sweircynski? I have to at least give it a look. Brass tacks? It is not bad, could have been a little more meat on it, but it was fantastically delicious.

Logan #1

Please see above review, replace Sweircynski with Vaughan, and pictures with words. And throw in a smattering of applause for good measure.

Hulk #1 (yeah, I know, but it's new to me)

I loved the crap out of this book. I have the rest on back order, but I really dug the CSI team, and the nice little dust-up they get into. Star of the show? Ursa Major, for looking scary as shit. Top Drawer.

Dark Tower: The Long Road Home

I have been waiting for this bitch for a long time, and it was worth every tortured second of the wait. Picks up right where we left our boys, and then goes into fucking awesomeville riding a black, blood frothed stallion.

Thanks for slamming my dick in the car door, dudes. This is the shit. Howzabout we don't wait another year before you put another of these series out, eh? Sound good?

Justice League: The New Frontier Special

I love this comic. I mean, romantically. I want to make it dinner, then fuck its brains out. Brilliant. Insert more heaps of praise here.

Secret Invasion Saga - Marvel.

It is a very good thing that this is a free comic (well, all of mine are free, but, you know, for Joe Six-Pack out there, I would hate him to spend his kid's milk-money on this shit).

Oh yeah, my review. That's it. That's all I have to say. SKRUL! :roll:

Countdown 8

I like it.

Green Lantern #28

I can't just keep writing the same review for this series every week, but then again, it just keeps getting better. Fuck, I need to find something critical or insightful to say about this book. I will be back later.

It rocked my balls, hard and personal style. I LURVE GL.

Wed., evening, 2/27/08

Let’s start with that which rocks...

The Immortal Iron Fist: Orson Randall and the Green Mist of Doom - One Shot

Holy crap this comic was amazing. Love the different artists, Allred's stuff from the 'golden age' being my favorite. This is a perfect one shot, and now I will be reading this book moving forward. Time for unikrunk to start digging through some crates for back issues. 10 out of 10 thumbs up on this one.

KICK-ASS #1

Fucking brilliant. Terrific storytelling and great art can't wait to see how this one plays out. Some laugh out loud moments, followed by some 'holeeee shiiiit' moments. Another perfect 10 thumbs up.

Thor #6

This series is just fucking perfect. I love everything about it. Great last couple of panels. A tip-o-the hat to all involved.

JSA #13

Ooookay, now I get the Kingdom Come bridging. It is starting to work for me in this issue. Gog, Magog, totally cool.

JSA Classified #35

HOLY CRAP. Just when I was ready to give up on this book, it delivers in spades. Wildcat just got a whole lot cooler in the uni-world.

Superman Confidential #12

S'okay. Cute, fun, a little stupid at times. Like a puppy this one is.

Countdown 9

Piper rules. Who would have thunk it? I was very moved by his glory panel, seriously. Piper, you did it, you rule.

Saturday morning, 9:00AMish...

The incredible Herc is fucking rad.

The Incredible Hulk #110 - #114
Incredible. Revving the Incredible Herc angle up in 110, this take on the last days of the Green Kings reign are a fantastic view of the WWHulk events. Every single thing about issue #110 is perfect.

Once the Herc ball is teed, it gets slapped out of the course. There is cheese, but the flavor is just right and the amount is perfect.

Great arc so far.

Musings on Jan. 30th

Superman Confidential #10

– Ok, so Sale is back, and he and Cooke stumble through the conclusion, finally, to the Kryptonite storyline. This series is starting to piss me off.

A six issue arc, that gets shelved for 5 issues, then they jump back in at issue #11 for the conclusion, and it reads like there are about, ah, 5 chapters missing from this story. Did these two over-commit and miss a bunch of deadlines, then slap this ending together in a last minute panic?

The art is great, and the first five chapters in this arc were great, but in the end it just falls apart.

Countdown #19-#13

I am glad I stuck it through with this series, things are coming together nicely, and there was relatively little filler so far; things that seemed like fluff later come around, and most have somewhat of an impact on the story. I won’t go into spoilers, but these issues have a lot of cool twists, brutal fights, and nastiness galore. Can’t wait to see where it is all heading.

GL #26-27

Damn, this book just keeps on delivering. The Sinestro Wars was a fantastic ride, and now the fall-out is even better! Fucking. Love. It.

War crimes, an Oa ruled by morons and the creation of the Alpha Lanterns…plus, a nice advert for ‘Domination’, an utter tease image of a certain villain wearing a green ring, a yellow ring, and... A red ring. Looks like we are going to be seeing all of the spectrum’s warriors soon.

GL CORPS #20 – Oh hells yes. I am just coupling this series with GL moving forward, they are totally synched up, and I might as well heap my praise on the collective effort here. Top drawer, DC.

Jan. 31st. Morning.

Wolverine: Origins #20

Craptain Amuricah. When sideburns decided to recollect the time he and cap did…whatever, I was glad, because it meant that I would not have to look at that goddamn kid of his, Daxxon or whatever, and because I thought nothing could be worse than that story line.

Good gravy I was wrong. Seriously, Wolverine hangs out in front of a statue of cap for what felt like 10 issues, recalling the time he was sent on a black-ops to kill Cap. This issue finally closes that very boring and utterly pointless sentimental chapter. That is the only good thing about this issue; that story line is closed down, thank fuck.

Wolverine: Origins #21

The Snikt That Broke The Camel’s Back. I am dropping this title after reading this latest issue. It’s just…not good. Okay, I will give the artist a little bit of a break for three excellent panels; they are all drawn from Deadpool’s POV, wherein every thing looks like a Disney cartoon. Wolverine having the forks and spoons for claws was a lark.

Other than that, CRAP. Pure shit. Pencils? Shit. Writing? Shit. Inks? Not to bad.

Thor #5

I am going to just throw this out there; Thor and the GL books are the best super-hero books out right now.

Loved this issue, for all the reasons I hated Wolverine. Great writing, the pencils are perfect, and the inks just fucking pop. I also like that this series is taking its time getting out of the gate, and establishing a sort of rulebook for the mythos to stand in. No story spoiler here, go buy, borrow or steal this gem, plus the preceding four issues, and have a blast.

Oh, one last thing; the rendering of Heimdall was freaking sweet. Very impressive work in the art department, gents.

JLA #16, #17

I am lumping these to pieces of crap together in an effort to save server space, somewhere.

Dear DC,

How the fuck is Countdown more interesting, engaging, and fun than your titular fantastic series, JLA?

I know how. You were not checking in on your staff. If you did, you would find they are all smoking the finest of cracks, and collectively vomiting into my fucking face via this title.

Well, I have had enough. Thanks for nothing, fuckos –

Sincerely,
unikrunk

JSA #33, #34

Good gravy. This is getting dropped. Hour Man? Why do I even buy this shit? I know that the JSA is always going to be boring crap. This time, I don’t blame you, DC. I am just a terrible consumer with buyer’s remorse.

Metal Men #5

EXCELLENT – so far, only one issue of this run was sub-par, and that was because it was just too sciencey; it was akin to reading a friggin text-book. Everything else has been perfection. Keep up the strong work, lads. This comic is a lot of fun.

Tuesday, AM, 2/12/2008

the Brave and the Bold #8

Flash reluctantly takes his kids to Prof. Caulder for help with their (his kid's) fluctuating powers. Pretty boring, however there is some fun stuff with the kids thinking they are being attacked by the Universal Monsters (Frankenstein = Cliff, The Mummy = Negative Man). Overall not much punch to this one.

the Brave and the Bold #9

This is a case of trying to put 10 gallons of crap in a 5 gallon bucket. The cover says it all; Star Studded Spectacular! Black Hawk and Boy Commandos, Metal Men, Hawkman and the ALL NEW ATOM! PLUS: The Challengers of the Unknown!

Jeebus, I am surprised all that fit on the cover of #9, let alone in the issue. Way too busy and a decent story gets lost in the wake. It's really a CotU book, dealing with Megistus, the book of destiny, the orb of Ra, and some other crap. In the end, nothing comes from it; the reader is no clearer on the Megistus crap than before. Let down, big time.

Metal Men #6

What my friends and I call a 'Penn State'; awesome uniform, shitty helmet. The art is fucking beautiful, but the story is getting really contrived and is not going anywhere. I think I will need to re-read all of these once this 8 issue arc is through, it may be more palatable and exciting when taken in all at once. As it is now, I keep forgetting why I should care about Doc Magnus and his resposometer pals.

What If - Civil War - One Shot

Fucking Go Away, please. I thought this might be cool, so I gave it a shot. Learn from my mistake, and stay away from this tepid shit. They could have gone in a different direction, and made a great book. Instead, they barely tweak the U, and the outcome is predictable.

I will give it this; the army of Thors was pretty cool.

Countdown 12

Yeah! Convergence, Winslows! This book is just a series of meetings, with all of the players being called into play on Apokolips. And it was still rad. The end game begins.

JSA #12

Holy fuck, this is just bad. They are trying to bridge the gap to the Kingdom Come stuff, but why fucking bother? You are just going to go off on another Crisis event, and retconn all this shit anyway. Save your money, and buy an ice-cream cone; it will be more rewarding than reading this shit.

Y The Last Man - TPB #1

Okay, so I am the last kid on the bus with this one. Never really appealed to me, never purchased an issue, then people started telling me how they cried like babies reading issue #60. So, I gave it a ride.

Holy fuck this is great. If you have been reading it, you know that already, but this series just took my maidenhead like a fucking Viking on Viagra and meth. Buying the rest of the trades this week; by the time I am done reading them, the last one should be out. Good, good, good.

Loki - TPB

Amazing art, some good story telling, the ending left me dryer then a bucket of sand. The set-up is fantastic, the execution almost flawless, and the end result...unfortunately boring.

Friday, AM, 2/15/08

BPRD 1946 #1 / #2

Drool. Really digging the year 2 angle on this, the series so far feels pitch perfect. Love the covers by Migs, and Paul Azaceta and Nick Filardi do a great job bringing things to life.

The Soviet woman-demon-child is fucking freaky. Good job, dudes.

On the story, it may seem a little redundant at first, but then you notice the realism set in by the characters and some good narrative. This is not the story of a rag-tag team full of piss and vinegar, ready to take on the whole of the armies of the night.

These are some seriously tired, desensitized, fuck-it-all sort of dudes. They just want to go fucking home, and are now dragged into Bruttenholm's vampire shit. Great.

Great take on the situation in Berlin after the war, and so far the best of the BRPD stuff I have read. Let's hope it keeps on delivering.

Abe Sapien #1 - The Drowning

Fuck, I just totally went dick-happy over BPRD, I am spent. This fucking book rocked, for pretty much all the same reasons as the BPRD 1946 shit. 10 out of 10 thumbs up.

Iron Man Enter the Mandarin #5

Nothing really wrong here, this issue is just boring as hell. There is some terrific art; I love the graffiti informed panels and anatomy. Other than the art, there is not much to #5.

Dead OF NIGHT: The Cool Dark #1

This is a great retelling of the Man-Thing origin, far superior to last year's Legion of Monsters one shot. Where Legion of Monsters was fairly standard comic fair, The Cool Dark is a true horror comic.

Narrated by the Digger, the reader is treated to a filthy-mouthed, adult, 'Creepshow' style ride. This is definitely worth purchasing.

GL Corps #21

Decent enough, the Alpha Lantern arc is moving. Looks like it will be interesting enough. It’s just that Sinestro Wars was so fucking awesome, and now things are all slow and shit. I know, I know, it takes time to lay the groundwork for another great arc. I understand that. But I am impatient, and want to stop with the foreplay and get back with the grudge-fucking.

Wed. 4:57AM EST 2/20/07 - Musings

JLA #18

It’s the Justice League vs. Suicide Squad, and, it's pretty fucking boring. The second yarn in this issue is where it is at; "Meanwhile, Back at Owl Creek Bridge" is a terrific tale of the fucking bullshit Red Tornado has to deal with.

Since the second story was great, and the first one crap, #18 has balanced the scales. 5 thumbs up, then? Good.

Batman Confidential #13

How do I always end up with the crappy comics? I read Burl or Lecko or Blue's reviews, and they glow like a pregnant virgin. Meanwhile, I am over in my corner eating gruel and going on for twenty minutes on how bad a book sucks. I need to stop reading things like Batman Confidential and just pick up what you people are reading.

Oh, #13 - ah, the pencils and inks look way better than that fucking Joker run, but having a three inch dick instead of a one inch dick does not make for a cock, eh? It’s still a dink.

And fer' christs sake, could you make Nightwing any fucking gayer? He looks like Siegfried and Roy's illegitimate love child. No thumbs for you! Get out of my store.

Countdown #10 -

Sweet-tits city. SPOILER.

FUCING GRANNY GOODNESS is DEAD!!!! Yeah, I know she will be back, its comics, but her ass got completely fucking fried. I mean, skeleton floating in a wave of flame, Sarah Conner nightmare, fried.

The rest of this issue is no slouch either. I am in Bizarro world, where a cheese weekly rates better than anything else. WTF? Here's 8 thumbs up Countdown, don't spend them all in one place.

the Brave and the Bold #10

Okay, here is the cover: Superman with Silent Knight / Teen Titans with Aquaman and Aqualad. That pretty much says it all, huh? More Megistus and more of me not knowing what the crap is going on.

The Challengers of the Unknown do manage to anchor the arc, but jeebus. This issue really sucked. I know what you are thinking, but the way TT are presented here is akin, in fact inspired by, the 60's cartoon TT, with speedy in the yellow and red suit, and wondergirl. Man, fuck it, I am not writing about this any longer; save your money, this issue is shit.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

I am about 25% done with this gorgeous book. So far, the rawk, she is with this one.
Last edited by unikrunk on Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:06 am, edited 12 times in total.
He can't' love you back...
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:11 pm

I'll try to contribute.

Lecko, you scare me, too. Stop being businesslike! I can't even find my hold list, and that's months out of date.

Your hold list makes me think of my buying habits when I was your age, except that I bought about 85 comics each month rather than 50. To have that kind of disposable income these days ... *sigh*
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:31 pm

Leckomaniac wrote:I keep a very detailed excel spreadsheet that documents every comic I own and every comic I plan to purchase months in advance. (at the moment I know what I will be buying up until the end of March).

So...

... I gotta the nothing, eh?

As a the Vicar would say... words fail, no?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby bluebottle on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:33 pm

DinoDeLaurentiis wrote:
Leckomaniac wrote:I keep a very detailed excel spreadsheet that documents every comic I own and every comic I plan to purchase months in advance. (at the moment I know what I will be buying up until the end of March).

So...

... I gotta the nothing, eh?

As a the Vicar would say... words fail, no?

All those Wally The Wizards and Top Dog's have to be accounted for!
bluebottle
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:38 pm

:oops:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DinoDeLaurentiis on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Donna forget a the Little Lulu's, eh?
DinoDeLaurentiis
SHE'S A THE SARAH SILVERMAN

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:41 pm

None of you guys have excel spreadsheets that keep track of everything you plan to purchase months in advance??!?!?!

Anyone??????

:oops:
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby DennisMM on Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:44 pm

I can't find my comics, much less track them in an excel spreadsheet.
"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all." -- Noam Chomsky
DennisMM
NOT PARTICULARLY MENACING

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Updated my post with Book of the Week and the comics I'll be getting for Jan. 16th.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:08 am

updated mine a little
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:00 am

And updated again.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:05 am

Looks like it is just you and me burl.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:06 am

THERE WILL BE OTHERS!
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:42 pm

Updated! With link to reviews!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 am

I don't purchase enough comics to do this on a weekly basis, but I'm in for monthly.

JANUARY

Angel: After the Fall - 1-3

Astonishing X-Men - Issue #24

Black Summer - Issue 5

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Issue 10

Fell #9

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier (Hardcover)

Southland Tales: The Prequel Saga (Softcover)

The Umbrella Academy #5

Y: The Last Man - Final Issue
Last edited by Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:38 am

How was Black Dossier?
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Keepcoolbutcare on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:28 am

burlivesleftnut wrote:How was Black Dossier?

I've liked what I've read so far - but I've skipped over the pages and pages of The Black Dossier proper - it's a book, or rather intelligence reports, within a book type of dealio. The problem with those, if it could be called a problem, and I guess it goes to Moore's fiction writing in general, is that he's so obscenely brilliant at writing from a characters perspective that it becomes rather a chore to read. Basically, remember the back of some of the previous LXG's, the letters of correspondence and field reports and the like?

it's those, only the "Black Dossier" is part of the narrative - after Alan and Mina steal it, they/we read it simultaneously. Brilliant stroke, storytelling wise, but, like I said, it's a bit of a chore to slog through.

and since I read a lot of comics on the crapper, I've decided to skip those bits for now and give them a proper go later.

my favorite part so far, by far, was the story of Orlando - there, Moore melds his encyclopedic knowledge of history, both real and of the classic literature variety, into something astounding. Combining Virginia Woolf's Orlando: A Biography with Song of Roland/Orlando (wiki, bitches), and other incarnations of the character into a millennium spanning, globe-trotting comic epic.

3-D glasses, pretty darn faithful archaic porn, adverts - it's not the LXG proper, but I'm enjoying it so far.
Personally, I'm an atheist in the voting booth and a theist in the movie theatre. I separate the morality of religion with the spirituality and solace of it. There is something boring about atheism.
Keepcoolbutcare
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:32 am

Updated!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:03 am

New top comic for me! Immortal Iron Fist is the most fun I have had with comics since, like, forever. Brubaker and Faction are mad geniuses, and I want my own studly Cobra.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:16 pm

Updated!

With a new "holy shit, school started and I need money" pull list. Plus, links to REVIEWS!!!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 am

Updated with some reveiws!
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Updated mine with a bunch of randomness.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:26 pm

I totally agree about Blue Beetle. Issue #23 was teh awesomeness.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:28 pm

:D
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Updated!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:53 am

New Reviews!

Scroll away.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:33 am

Updated!!!

Click for reviews!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:51 am

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:54 am

God you guys make me feel bad. I need to do an update this weekend. Fuckers.
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:32 am

New Reviews

Scroll, scroll.
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 pm

UPDATED W/ REVIEWS!!!!

Clicky! Clicky!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:04 am

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Re: 2008 Comic Tracker

Postby Fried Gold on Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:19 am

Top Comic
The Boys

Top Writer
Garth Ennis

Top Artist
Darick Robertson

Top Event
News that a film version of The Boys is to be made.

Generally Crappy Shit
There was this one panel in The Boys #14 that wasn't quite up to par.
Fried Gold
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby burlivesleftnut on Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:59 pm

LOL
burlivesleftnut
I <3 PACINA

Postby Leckomaniac on Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:38 am

Up to the Dated.
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:17 pm

Updated

Fucking Iron Fist 43v3r!
unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby doglips on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Keepcoolbutcare wrote:
burlivesleftnut wrote:How was Black Dossier?

I've liked what I've read so far - but I've skipped over the pages and pages of The Black Dossier proper - it's a book, or rather intelligence reports, within a book type of dealio. The problem with those, if it could be called a problem, and I guess it goes to Moore's fiction writing in general, is that he's so obscenely brilliant at writing from a characters perspective that it becomes rather a chore to read. Basically, remember the back of some of the previous LXG's, the letters of correspondence and field reports and the like?

it's those, only the "Black Dossier" is part of the narrative - after Alan and Mina steal it, they/we read it simultaneously. Brilliant stroke, storytelling wise, but, like I said, it's a bit of a chore to slog through.

and since I read a lot of comics on the crapper, I've decided to skip those bits for now and give them a proper go later.

my favorite part so far, by far, was the story of Orlando - there, Moore melds his encyclopedic knowledge of history, both real and of the classic literature variety, into something astounding. Combining Virginia Woolf's Orlando: A Biography with Song of Roland/Orlando (wiki, bitches), and other incarnations of the character into a millennium spanning, globe-trotting comic epic.

3-D glasses, pretty darn faithful archaic porn, adverts - it's not the LXG proper, but I'm enjoying it so far.

I think I enjoyed it more for not being the LXG proper or straight. Reading the 'comic' without the 'literature' has got to be a pretty far out comic experience but read it from cover to cover ( as I did first time ) and you're in for a treat, it really is a delicious book.

I can only imagine Moore wasn't willing to give us another easy read LXG - maybe the long list of formats ( it was going to be a series of books at one point, no? ) that previewers were speaking of were what Moore and O'Neill were experimenting with, I definitely think they chose the right combination of comic to 'extras'

The 3D section is a total blast too - O'Neill is on career best stuff here, brilliant art throughout.

Like KC says, The Trump Life of Orlando is superb, as are all the varied sections you get ( The Adventures Of Fanny Hill being a real Lost Girls overspill....), the only let down being the Nautilus schematic - I was imagining something far more in depth and wanky, but that's a really wanky gripe.

Damn this comic has so much meat it's unbelievable - you rarely get what you pay for in comics nowadays but Black Dossier is a REAL read. It's got enough popcorn to keep the casual LXG fan happy and a whole lot more Moore lover content too. AMAZING!
doglips
MOD FAIRY

Postby Leckomaniac on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:36 pm

Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:40 am

I was thinking of a list like thsi! Good idea!
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby silentbobafett on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 am

LATEST READS AT THE BOTTOM

So, I've cancelled my standing orders (all but the Star Wars comics!!!) at my local comic shop due to the fact of - low money and low room space left!

I'm now going to collect in TPB form! Which I'm very much looking forward to! I also had the problem of a massive pile of comics build up because my schedule wasn't letting me read them!

So here's whats left on my currently standing order:

SW: Dark Times
SW: Legacy
SW; Knights of the Old Republic
SW: The Dark Tower

(The SW comics don't seem to get much love on here, but I think they are brilliant! Hence the reason I just couldn't cancel them!)

The TPB's I will be collecting and I can't live with out (NO SPOILERS PLEASE, AS I'M STILL WORKING MY WAY THROUGH THE SERIES!!!)

100 Bullets
DMZ
The Exterminators
Y: The Last Man [now finished]
Preacher (now finished)
Powers
The Walking Dead

Comics that I'm hoping to switch over to TPB's:
(This will be updates as and when I remember more - monday morning here at the mo! :-) )

Wasteland
Battlestar Galactica
Any horror film crossovers (i'm just a horror geek and can't turn em down!)

RECENTLY READ TPB'S:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2
Battlestar Galactica: Cylon Apocolypse
The Other Side
Sandman: Preludes & Nocturns
Preacher Book 8
DMZ: Friendly Fire (Book 4)
Preacher Book 9
Star Wars: Rebellion
JLA: Tower of Babel
The Boys - Vol 2: Get Some
Justice League: The New Frontier
Walking Dead Vol 7
Batman - Castle of the Bat (Elseworlds)
Chronicles of Wormwood
Strange Kiss
Y: The Last Man (Final TPB)
Walking Dead Vol 8
Powers Vol 9
100 Bullets Vol 9
Last edited by silentbobafett on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 am, edited 12 times in total.
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby Leckomaniac on Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:26 am

UPDATED!!!!! w/ modified pull list and what I will be buying on March 12th!
Leckomaniac
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby unikrunk on Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:25 am

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby silentbobafett on Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:19 am

Added THE NEW DARK TOWER series to my standing orders...
silentbobafett
AIRWOLF

Postby unikrunk on Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:59 am

unikrunk
AIRWOLF PLUS

Postby StarchildAD on Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:37 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/columns/?column=6

That sucks that i wanted to post more topics/threads on this board because I felt it was lacking in that department but obviously I was almost possibly banned and my thread was locked. I didnt know everyone was so strict here, come on give me a break... its a decent story but I guess I can understand that whole keeping it to one topic deal. I guess Ill stop posting in this forum. Lighten up.

Anyways, here is what I wanted to add:

FreakAngels still happening with a possible new webcomic with major talent involved with Ellis.

Doktor Sleepless, Streets of Glory, Black Summer TPBs coming out. Doktor Sleepless and Gravel going on for the long haul.

Wolfskin annual one-shot, six week mini series of Wolfskin, and Crecys "spiritual successor" on the way.

New Ellis/Hose Ryp project going to be announced this summer as well as more creative players joining Avatar.

Ennis doing a new series with Jacen Burrows called Crossed.

Chronicles of Wormwood sequel! (same creative team)

2009 is Alan Moores year. Alot of projects from him already written having their art done now. Batch released next year!

AVATAR is a really cool company. I dont care so much for the big breasted woman and zombies (wait.. did I just say that?) but the titles by these top writers are kicking ass. I hope to see projects from Delano, Milligan, and Vietch one day... that would be neat. All in all, some really awesome announcements that further the comic industries selection in AMAZING ways. Cant wait to see these summer announcements. These did not disappoint!

MOD EDIT: Link fixed.

-Moo
StarchildAD
TOMBOY BEANPOLE

Next

Return to Comic Books