House of the Dragon HBO

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

House of the Dragon HBO

Post by so sorry »

Did you watch it?

I'm kinda reading the book Fire and Blood. Its not a novel, it reads more like a history book. So its interesting, but a bit drier and less engaging. AND, these fucking targaryans all have the same names, so its a bitch to follow along with. But I haven't read up to the Dance with Dragons section, which this show will focus on. So I was able to more or less follow along with the show with some of the characters, and I loosly know what happens eventually, but its fun to watch something GoT related that I don't know everything about already.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Re: House of the Dragon HBO

Post by TheBaxter »

watching. pretty good start. i did watch some select GoT episodes in preparation, i'll say i found the GoT premiere a bit more engaging than this one, maybe just because Targaryens all seem like such smug bitches, but there's room to grow.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

2nd episode felt a bit dry. it's starting to feel like a show based on a history book. by the end of the first GoT episode, you had mysteries to solve, a plot playing out in real time, genuine character interactions that felt real and lived in already, based on a sense of history between some of these characters that you didn't know all the details yet but would eventually find out. this show isn't providing a lot of that yet. everyone feels so guarded and calculating, and the show feels like it's just showing us important historical events rather than compelling dramatic scenes. there's no character like a Tyrion or an Arya or a Jon Snow who resonates on a more emotionally connected level. maybe one or some of these characters will grow into that kind of role, but i'm not seeing or feeling it yet. hate to say it, but the show seems overly focused on political machinations in a way that reminds me of Phantom Menace. obviously the acting and directing are much higher quality, but this show needs some drama and some surprises to draw audience members like me in.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Post by so sorry »

TheBaxter wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:26 pm it's starting to feel like a show based on a history book.
Yeah, because it is really. Fire & Blood the book is written as a history text (written by Grand Maesters), so it is inherently dry/more clinical in that sense. But GRRM is directly involved in this show, so I would have hoped he had more to say about the dialogue/etc that you are correctly pointing out feels flat. I still enjoyed last nights episode too, but I can absolutely see how it can come across as you describe it. They will break up the political maneuvering soon with some bloody battle scenes for sure, but that's not really what made GoT as good as it was in the first few seasons.
Al Shut
THE LAUGHING ZONER

Post by Al Shut »

I recently reread the book myself and wonder how all the 'historic haziness' will be handled. There must have been dozens of times where the book goes"we will never know what happend exactly" or "here the sources contradict each other".
Note to myself: Fix this image shit!
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Post by so sorry »

Al Shut wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:02 am I recently reread the book myself and wonder how all the 'historic haziness' will be handled. There must have been dozens of times where the book goes"we will never know what happend exactly" or "here the sources contradict each other".
Right, they often source the court jester Mushroom, and then immediately discredit him as a source!

But since GRRM himself is involved in this show, i imagine any and all decisions about plot points are "canon".
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Post by so sorry »

So a man of the Kingsguard is allowed to get away with cold blooded murder at the wedding celebration for the future queen????
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

this show is getting better. at least they're finallly getting some real drama and some juicy scenes now, not just dry political/historical posturing. even with another massive time jump (and recasting) it feels like now things are going to settle into a more condensed timeframe and pace. the new Rhaenyra and Alicent feel right. i first saw Olivia Cooke in Bates Motel, that series about young Norman Bates and his (then-still-alive) momma. now she gets to play the crazy overbearing mom and seems up to the task. at least Norman Bates had the decency to wait for his mother to die before tossing off in front of her.