HBO's The Last of Us

The greatest TV in history is being made right now. The worst TV in history is being made right now.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

HBO's The Last of Us

Post by TheBaxter »

this looks damn good. and for anyone who's played the games, the use of Take On Me is a really nice touch.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Re: HBO SUCKS!

Post by so sorry »

I’m looking forward to it for sure. Need a good series, it’s been a while. Never played the game, so I don’t know the backstory or outcome whatsoever, which will be refreshing to go into a series not having a clue what’s happening
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

so sorry wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:06 pm I’m looking forward to it for sure. Need a good series, it’s been a while. Never played the game, so I don’t know the backstory or outcome whatsoever, which will be refreshing to go into a series not having a clue what’s happening
yeah, the promotion gives away a little more information than i would've liked, though that's info revealed pretty early on into the game. if there's a season 2, and if it's based on the 2nd game, then you'll really want to avoid spoilers then.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Post by so sorry »

TheBaxter wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:32 am
so sorry wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:06 pm I’m looking forward to it for sure. Need a good series, it’s been a while. Never played the game, so I don’t know the backstory or outcome whatsoever, which will be refreshing to go into a series not having a clue what’s happening
yeah, the promotion gives away a little more information than i would've liked, though that's info revealed pretty early on into the game. if there's a season 2, and if it's based on the 2nd game, then you'll really want to avoid spoilers then.
I just read that this is likely just a 3 season show.
https://gizmodo.com/last-of-us-hbo-leng ... 1849945355
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

so sorry wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:51 pm
TheBaxter wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:32 am
I just read that this is likely just a 3 season show.
https://gizmodo.com/last-of-us-hbo-leng ... 1849945355
they're saying all the right things. season 1 following game #1 is natural, there's enough story to fill up a season without padding, and it would feel awkward to end it at a different point than the game ending.

season/game 2 is where it's gonna get interesting. the structure of game #2 is gonna be tricky to adapt. there's an obvious way to do it in a single (longer, maybe 12-episode?) season. and there's an obvious way to split it into 2 seasons, but it would be terrible to do it that way. it would mean ending season 2 on a cliffhanger (which would go against what they say in the article about wanting each season to feel satisfying if the series didn't continue from there). if they do split it across multiple seasons, i hope they can figure out a way to do it that would avoid those issues.

in fact, maybe the best approach would to split the season in half, 6 episodes each. kinda like they did with season 4 of stranger things, or some seasons of walking dead before i stopped watching. they can film it all at once, but still break it up at the natural middle point of the story without the risk of not completing the story. and then if they need to wait until game #3 is done before doing a third season, it shouldn't be a problem. it won't be a GoT situation, game #3 is in development now, it'll probably already be out before season 2 is even finished, and if it's not, just take a year or two off until it is. there's a time jump between game 1 and 2, so no worries about cast members aging out or anything.

but i'm glad they're not planning on dragging it out Walking Dead-style. better shorter with a definitive ending than the crap pile that show became. i do think there are plenty of opportunities for spinoffs down the line, or prequels, or whatever, but at least for the core series, the focus is and should be on joel and ellie's story and as long as they maintain that focus and bring it to a satisfying conclusion, keeping it short and on point is the way to go.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

also, with less than a week to go before the show premieres, it's probably worth moving these posts into a separate thread dedicated to the show.
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Post by so sorry »

TheBaxter wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:16 pm also, with less than a week to go before the show premieres, it's probably worth moving these posts into a separate thread dedicated to the show.
:P I dont remember how to do that...
Ribbons
SQUARE PEG

Re: HBO's The Last of Us

Post by Ribbons »

TheBaxter wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:16 pm also, with less than a week to go before the show premieres, it's probably worth moving these posts into a separate thread dedicated to the show.
Boom!
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

it's off to a good start. true to the game while adding some additional context and backstory to the world and the characters. pedro is gonna be fine as joel. not 100% sold on bella yet, but she'll have much more to do as the show goes on. capturing that mix of snotty rebellious kid with the sense of curiousity and wonder the character experiences as they travel across the country will be a tough balancing act and hopefully she's up for it. but the look of the show is spot on and staying true to the themes of the game's story (maybe a little too true with that scene of pedro brutalizing that guard).
so sorry
Deacon Blues

Post by so sorry »

I dug it, although I think they could have come up with an original opening title sequence instead of just modifying the Game of Thrones intro.

Just knowing that its based off a video game, I was watching it and thinking to myself "OK, this is the part of the game where they have to drive out of the town, this is the part of the game where they have to go get the car battery" etc, which isn't a good way to focus on a show. Hopefully I get over this way of watching and enjoy it for what it is.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

there's no battery search in the game (there is a search, for something different, and it's longer and more violent, but it ultimately leads to the same place the show gets to). stay tuned for the next 9 weeks for more explanations of how the show deviates from the game :wink:

just like HotD, it's worth staying for the post-credits interviews where they talk about the episode. they pointed out a couple things i didn't pick up on during the episode itself.
TheBaxter
Carlos Danger

Post by TheBaxter »

good job on the clickers, glad they didn't overthink it and totally revamp the creature design or sound effects. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

nice job on the bookcase-moving, people-boosting, and ladder-walking too. they really captured the excitement of those moments in the game. can't wait for the first time joel has to pick up and carry a ladder, or push a dumpster up to a fire escape, but nothing will compare to those iconic sequences of ellie balancing on a piece of plywood while joel pushes it across a flooded tunnel. the non-gamers in the audience don't know what they've got to look forward to.